Doctors in Third Affiliated Hospital of South Medical University in Guangzhou, south China had found a 12-Inch plastic tube inside a woman. The woman, simply identified as Miss Lu said that she swallowed a straw.
Miss Lu went to hospital recently, complaining of pain and told the Doctors that she just accidentally swallowed a straw.
But when the medical team examined Ms Lu, what they discovered was definitely not a straw.
Rather, the doctors removed a 12-inch plastic pipe from her. The 22 years old Lu couldn’t explain how the pipe had become lodged in her digestive system.
However, Lu took herself to the Third Affiliated Hospital of South Medical University in Guangzhou, South China. Where she told medical personnel that she was drinking milk tea when the straw went down her throat.
Immediately, she was taken in for scans. The scan revealed the lengthy plastic tube measuring 30 centimetres (12 inches) in length and 1.9 centimetres (0.75 inches) thick. This tube was lodged in her oesophagus down her stomach.
Notwithstanding, Gastroenterologist Zhang Ting said:
“She came to the outpatient clinic on 3 December and said she had accidentally swallowed a straw when drinking milk tea.
“She wanted our help getting it out, but we discovered that it was far deeper than we had anticipated.
“A CT of her esophagus showed a large foreign body inside . About 1.9 inches thick and 30 centimetres long. It was obviously not a straw.”
The following day, Ms Lu was taken for endoscopy, which involves the use of a long, thin, flexible tube that has a light source and camera at one end so the medical team could see what they’re dealing with.
Doctor Yue Hui successfully removed the tube from her oesophagus and out through the patient’s mouth.
Furthermore, Dr. Hui explained that although Miss Lu suffered from stomach ulcers as a result of the pipe, luckily it hadn’t punctured her organ. And so she’s expected to make a full recovery.
She’s lucky it didn’t turn out worse. As for why this happened, it remains a mystery.